stephanieanngraves

Vellichor Afternoons

I like trip-hop, anachronism, cats, both coffee and tea, the sound of rain on a tin roof, antique keys, pop culture as a substitute for religion, theatre, photography, Oxford commas, and, of course, reading.

John Dies at the End
Amy Greene
Unfamiliar Fishes
Sarah Vowell
Academics Handbook 2nd Ed-P
Right Ho, Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse First, though possibly not foremost, how can you not love an author named Pelham Grenville? In a world of Tonys and Chrises and Ryans, you have to admit that a name such as that inspires a certain confidence in one's authorial voice.

Otherwise, it's a typically wonderful Wodehouse novel, with Bertram Wooster mucking about in the affairs of his friend Gussie (and attending the party of a friend named Pongo, GOOD LORD THE NAMES DO ME IN), and of course has to rely on the inimitable Jeeves to sort it all out for him. But it's never the plot that these novels are remarked for--it's the sheer joy and playfulness with which Wodehouse uses the English language, and as always it is delightful to behold.

My theory is that if you would hand Wodehouse novels out in high schools instead of, say, Cold Sassy Tree, which I was forced to read (though, honestly I never did, out of pure stubbornness) then I think the enthusiastic taking up of reading wouldn't be so farfetched.

Also, I should really track down the TV series that starred a young Hugh Laurie and Stephen Frye, but even with those two I doubt it could be as delightful as the books.