stephanieanngraves

Vellichor Afternoons

I like trip-hop, anachronism, cats, both coffee and tea, the sound of rain on a tin roof, antique keys, pop culture as a substitute for religion, theatre, photography, Oxford commas, and, of course, reading.

John Dies at the End
Amy Greene
Unfamiliar Fishes
Sarah Vowell
Academics Handbook 2nd Ed-P
Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins I sincerely enjoyed this novel, but it's also one of the novels that makes me detest the YA distinction only because there seems to be an implicit criticism of not-young adults who enjoy young adult books.

But perhaps that is my own issue.

The best thing I can say about this novel is that it was the sort that, when I wasn't reading it, I was sincerely wishing I were reading it, and I looked forward to being able to pick it back up. Anna is very realistically portrayed, she's smart and sassy and believable, and the romance between she and Etienne was lovely, existing in that place *just before* something happens, and I am nothing if not a sucker for the cusp of possibility.

I also enjoyed too how Paris was a character itself, and this novel makes me less self-conscious about my desire to visit while not knowing much french. All in all, many many thumbs up, and I can't wait to read the next two forthcoming novels in the series.