stephanieanngraves

Vellichor Afternoons

I like trip-hop, anachronism, cats, both coffee and tea, the sound of rain on a tin roof, antique keys, pop culture as a substitute for religion, theatre, photography, Oxford commas, and, of course, reading.

John Dies at the End
Amy Greene
Unfamiliar Fishes
Sarah Vowell
Academics Handbook 2nd Ed-P
The Sun, the Moon, & the Stars - Steven Brust Recommended in a roundabout way by my dear friend Greg, who sent me his collection of quotes once years ago--one lengthy passage from this book included ("The Temple of Isstvan", if you wondered). I ran across it in a used book store for a dollar and snatched it up.

I was sad to see it's gotten some bad reviews, though I can understand it even if I don't agree with it. It's not a very linear narrative--the setting bounces back and forth between a fairy tale about a man who sets out to place the Sun, Moon, and Stars in the sky (hence the title, natch) and a story about a painter who shares a studio with four friends who decide to put on a show. It's not tremendously exciting, but it's a hypnotically unfolding narrative, truly funny in places and honest all around.