stephanieanngraves

Vellichor Afternoons

I like trip-hop, anachronism, cats, both coffee and tea, the sound of rain on a tin roof, antique keys, pop culture as a substitute for religion, theatre, photography, Oxford commas, and, of course, reading.

John Dies at the End
Unfamiliar Fishes
Sarah Vowell
Academics Handbook 2nd Ed-P

From Student to Scholar: A Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor

From Student to Scholar: A Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor - Steven M. Cahn This slender volume is a practical treasure trove of information for anyone in graduate school who wants to be a professor. I always feel like I was absent the day the handbook of How To Do This was handed out, and that I am just faking my way through this experience, but THIS Is the handbook I was wishing for all along. It deals with the whole process from the dissertation to job searching to interviews to publishing. It maps out the process and includes priceless advice for not only how to conduct oneself but how to get what you need out of the whole process.

Seriously--if you are headed for a life in academia, I cannot recommend this book enough. It is clearly worded and well written and frankly downright indispensable.